Friday, May 20, 2011

Wander-lusting on the net


If politics can be the last resort of the scoundrels, well nostalgia could be the
last resort of the jobless. Come recession and I find all the time for indulgence.
Ok I hear a few talking about “Green Shoots”. But from the green shoot, if there 
is one, to a full grown tree is going to be a long haul. At least, my recession
promises me a guiltless indulgence for at least another 24 moons. The silver
lining is that one can afford (any choice?) to sit back, relax and walk down
memory lane. I recommend a myopic vision that confines your sights only
to the silver linings and imagine that the clouds are non-existent. Pamper
your whims. Now what if Einstein’s time travel seems out of bounds, or
Well’s time machine is yet a mirage on the fourth dimension, www is a
great substitute to take you back to “Our World of Malgudi”


Last December, thanks to “Dandi and Friends” (and of course, Anitha’s dedicated efforts),
I saw myself physically in the midst of our emotional moorings. This afforded me a glimpse
of today’s township and its peripherals and also transported me back to the
sweet seventies. I was planning to visit all new landmarks and lesser known
pristine spots around Sunabeda. “Man plans, God laughs.” Thanks to Dandi’s
fluky schedules, I had to head back the very next day. One just needs to hop
into Dandi’s Vehicle to accomplish the challenging goals of Vagrancy. But I bet
you will not regret the expedition if you are game for a serious test of
endurance. Getting through it, pat each other’s back for emerging out of the
challenges!


Back home to TN's Detroit, I began to explore the virtual environs of Sunabeda and the district.
I found quite a few interesting places that we probably missed and some developments post the
flight of all us Mohicans from the hill region. I am listing some of them here
for info, just in case some of us are interested.


Somewhere on the North Western fringes of the Aero Engine Factory (AEF), has emerged
the Naval Armament Depot (NAD for short). Probably Captain Saab can elaborate about its strategic location. Whats interesting is that a mini township has been established around NAD
with a KV that has acquired quite a reputation like our own VSV. The NAD
township is ensconsed in scenic getaways in the hills south of the Kolab river
and adjoining the Kirandul-Vizag railroad that is also branching out to the
AEF. One can reach this place by taking the first left exit after the AEF
enroute to Koraput on NH43. The township is less than 5 km from the Sec III Circle.
Check out this link for more details-


On exploring areas around NH43 from Semiliguda to Pottangi, I stumbled upon “Deomali”, which is a mini hill station and also the highest peak in Orissa and the Eastern
Ghats with a height of 1672 m (5486 feet ASL). This place is approachable by motorable road from Kunduli hatt junction. (Dandi’s rebuke - recommended venue for a get-to-gather). Kundili is about 20 kms from Semiliguda. As the crow flies, the hill top is about 12 kms from the Kundili junction on NH43. By the road the distance is about 17 kms. The view from the foothills and along the peak promises to be an ethereal one with nature’s pristine beauty intact and undisturbed by the modern world. Check this link.





I wonder if any of us knew this place existed on earth when we were in Sunabeda.

Folks, if you find this thread interesting, I shall post some more of such spots. A good number of them line the KK rail-route upline to Visakha and also the KR upline to Rayagada through Damanjodi.


Bye for now. I am just setting out on a wanderlust drive to the South Western Ghats and also to witness a couple determined to enter into an irredeemable jungle called wedlock!! . I will be back in a
couple of days.

(That was initially posted for a closely knit forum of Sunabedians a couple of years back, posted here now) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I had no idea about this place Deomali when we lived in Sunabeda. I can't wait for my son to grow up, so we can go on expeditions. Will definitely consult you before I make an itinerary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Smita, for the comment. This is a serene and pristine hill station. These days, I understand that people don't normally venture out here due to Maoist activities. Hope this will no longer be a the case a few years hence.

    ReplyDelete